UPSC Optional Syllabus for English Literature Paper I
Texts for detailed study are listed below. Candidates will also be required to show adequate knowledge of the following topics and movements. The Renaissance: Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama; Metaphysical Poetry; The Epic and the Mockepic; Neoclassicism; Satire; The Romantic Movement; The Rise of the Novel; The Victorian Age.
- William Shakespeare: King Lear and The Tempest.
- John Donne. The following poems :
- Death be not proud;
- The Good Morrow;
- On his Mistress going to bed;
- The Relic;
- John Milton: Paradise Lost, I, II, IV, IX
- Alexander Pope. The Rape of the Lock.
- William Wordsworth. The following poems:
- Odeon Intimations of Immortality. Tintern Abbey. Three years she grew. She dwelt among untrodden ways. Michael. Resolution and Independence. The World is too much with us. Milton, thou shouldst be living at this hour. Upon Westminster Bridge.
- Alfred Tennyson: In Memoriam.
- Henrik Ibsen: A Doll’s House.
- Jonathan Swift. Gulliver’s Travels.
- Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice.
- Henry Fielding. Tom Jones.
- Charles Dickens. Hard Times.
- George Eliot. The Mill on the Floss.
- Thomas Hardy. Tess of the d’Urbervilles.
- Mark Twain. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
UPSC Optional Syllabus for English Literature PaperII
Texts for detailed study are listed below. Candidates will also be required to show adequate knowledge of the following topics and movements :
Modernism; Poets of the Thirties; The stream of consciousness Novel; Absurd Drama; Colonialism and PostColonialism; Indian Writing in English; Marxist, Psychoanalytical and Feminist approaches to literature; PostModernism.
- William Butler Yeats. The following poems:
- Easter 1916
- The Second Coming
- A Prayer for my daughter.
- Sailing to Byzantium.
- The Tower.
- Among School Children.
- Leda and the Swan.
- Lapis Lazuli
- T.S. Eliot. The following poems :
- The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock
- Journey of the Magi.
- Burnt Norton.
- W.H. Auden. The following poems :
- Musee des Beaux Arts
- in Memory of W.B. Yeats
- Lay your sleeping head, my love
- The Unknown Citizen
- Mundus Et Infans
- The Shield of Achilles
- September 1, 1939
- John Osborne : Look Back in Anger.
- Samuel Beckett. Waiting for Godot.
- Philip Larkin. The following poems :
- Mr. Bleaney
- A.K. Ramanujan. The following poems :
- Looking for a Causim on a Swing
- A River
- Of Mothers, among other Things
- Love Poem for a Wife 1
- SamllScale Reflections on a Great House